ANDRE HEIMGARTNER REPORT Clipsal 500 Adelaide Street Circuit 28th Feb - 2nd of March

ANDRE HEIMGARTNER REPORT Clipsal 500 Adelaide Street Circuit 28th Feb - 2nd of March

Click Here to download PDF Version.

My trainer (Alastair) and I flew to Adelaide on the Wednesday before the meeting. This being the Clipsal 500 testing started on Thursday instead of the usual Friday. The race format this year has changed with there being two qualifying sessions and two races. The races are much longer, 27 laps, which makes the racing more relative to main game V8 Supercars.

This year I am racing in the Dunlop Series with Matt White Motorsport. They are the reining champions. Thereare 31 DVS cars and arguably the most competitive driver line up for years.

Had to use old tyres from last year for the first practice. This was a 45 minute session so lots of time to get good gains in set up each time we went out. Finished the session in 2nd, was a good start! Later that day we had another 30 minute session where we struggled a little with the green tyre run, ended up

Typically you can forget practice times in qualifying. With having two qualifying sessions we only had one set of brand new tyres for each. We had made some significant changes after practice two which we were hoping would help the
handling of the car. I qualified with a personal best of fourth place. Now a long wait until my race at 6pm. After playing my favourite game, hurry up and wait, we gridded up. I got a good start making up one place into 3rd where I stayed
until lap 17 where another driver put an aggressive move, wedging me between a wall and his car. With bent steering I managed to struggle on and finish 5th.

After tweaking the set up further for the second qualifying we went out hoping for a good result. For some reason everyone was going faster. I managed to get three tenths faster than Friday and qualified 5th even though I made a mistake on my fast lap.

The 2nd 27 lap race was going to be tough starting from 5th. I got a good start again but unfortunately my tyre pressures were way too low and I got hung on the outside of turn four and lost 3 places. Had a good battle throughout the race with Paul Morris pushing me all the way eventually finishing 7th.

Overall a positive weekend leaving with 6th in the championship standings and keeping it off the walls. My new team definitely has the potential and equipment to win races, however we struggled in the races with having our tyre pressures too low at the start therefore being strong at the wrong part of the race. Can’t wait to get another test day under my belt at Winton as the next round is there.
Spent Sunday working with DJR in the main game.

Waiting now for the next round of the v8 Supertourers at Puke later this month.
All the best,